Winter Storm Information

President Biden has approved Texas Disaster Declaration 

On February 19, 2021, President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. declared that a major disaster exists in the State of Texas and ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe winter storms beginning on February 11, 2021, and continuing. The President’s action makes federal funding available to affected individuals in Rockwall County. 

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Federal funding is also available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency protective measures and hazard mitigation measures statewide.

If your property was damaged and you don't have insurance, apply for assistance now visit:

Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT)

ERCOT reports that the normal conditions for energy demand. Visit their website for further monitoring.

Atmos Energy

Atmos Energy Thanks Customers For Energy Conservation Efforts During Historic Winter Storms

North Texas Water Municipal District (NTWMD)

NTMWD has lifted the extreme winter weather conservation measures.

Here is how you can stay informed:

  • Many neighbors are experiencing water line breaks. Take action now and download My Water Advisor, an app that allows you to monitor your consumption and set alarms for a water leak alert. This can help give you a heads up if you have a leak in your home. Download the “My Water Advisor” app here.
  • Sign up for our Nixle Emergency text message notifications by texting "RCOEM" to 888777 to get emergency information from Rockwall County Office of Emergency Management texted to your phone.
  • Register for Notify Me messages to get important City information delivered to your email or your cell phone SMS messages. 
  • For City Staff email and phone extensions, please visit:
  1. Recovery
  2. Water Utilities
  3. Waste Connections
  4. Power
  5. Survey

Plumbing Permit Fees Waived

The City is waiving plumbing permit fees as a result of damages by the winter storm. Permits are required to ensure the safety of the work and its compliance with building and construction codes. For your protection, always hire a licensed contractor to make repairs to your home. All contractors working in the City are required to register prior to beginning work. This ensures that they are licensed. You can view all registered companies here. If you need assistance, please contact the Building Inspection Department for assistance.

Hire a licensed Professional Plumbing Permit Fees Waived Opens in new window

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Assistance - Individual Assistance (IA)

The White House approved a Major Disaster Declaration in 77 Texas counties on February 19, 2021. Individuals who sustained losses due to the winter storms and do not have insurance can now apply for federal assistance. Learn more here. If your property was damaged and you don't have insurance, apply for assistance now visit:

FEMA can provide assistance to individuals and families for items not covered by insurance for homeowners and renters.

  • The first line of defense in any disaster is insurance, but if you’re uninsured or underinsured, you may apply for Individual Assistance, and check your application status at
  • You may also call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362), or download the FEMA App.
    • Before you apply for assistance, below are the steps you need to take to start your recovery process:
      • Step One: Take photos of your damaged home and belongings.
      • Step Two: Make a list of damaged/lost items.
      • Step Three: Save yourself time. If you have insurance, you must file a claim with your insurance company. If you do not have insurance, continue to Step Four.
      • Step Four: Apply with FEMA
      • What does IA cover? 
        • Temporary Housing Assistance: Financial assistance to homeowners or renters to rent a temporary place to live if your home is unlivable because of the disaster, and you have no insurance coverage for temporary housing 
        • Lodging Expenses Reimbursement: Reimbursement of hotel expenses for homeowners or renters for short periods of time due to inaccessibility or utility outage, if not covered by insurance or any other program.
        • Home Repair and Home Replacement: Financial assistance to homeowners to repair disaster-caused damage to their primary residence, when the damage is not covered by insurance, to make the home safe, sanitary, and fit to occupy, or to help replace their home destroyed in the disaster
        • Other: Financial assistance is available for necessary expenses and serious needs directly caused by the disaster, including:
          • Child-care expenses
          • Medical and dental expenses
          • Funeral and burial expenses
          • Damages to essential household, job-related or educational items
          • Clean-up items (wet/dry vacuum, dehumidifier)
          • Damage to an essential vehicle
          • Moving and storage expenses caused by the disaster

FEMA Recovery Plan

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loans

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering low-interest disaster loans to non-farm businesses of all sizes, private nonprofits, homeowners, and renters in Rockwall County. Types of loans available are:

Individuals and Families:

  • Homeowners: up to $200,000 to repair or replace real estate damage and up to $40,000 to replace personal property.
  • Renters: up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property.


  • Property Damage: up to $2,000,000 to repair or replace real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other assets that were damaged or destroyed (available to businesses of any size and private, non-profit organizations).
  • Economic Injury: only for small businesses and most private non-profit organizations suffering adverse financial impacts of the disaster (with or without property loss), up to $2,000,000 for working capital to help pay obligations until normal operations resume.

For additional assistance, SBA has established a Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center that is open Mondays – Fridays, 8 am to 8 pm EST. You can contact an SBA customer service representative via email at or by phone at 800-659-2955. SBA will answer specific questions about how a disaster loan may help each survivor recover from the disaster damage and will provide one-on-one assistance in completing applications for these loans. Apply online here