May 2, 2020 General Election
The next General Election will be on Saturday, May 2, 2020, for the purpose of electing two City Council Members, Places 2 and 3, each for a three-year term. The incumbents are eligible to run for re-election should they choose to do so. The incumbents include City Council Member Lance Megyesi (Place 2) and City Council Member Ian Fields (Place 3).
Early Voting and Election Day Voting to be held at Fate City Hall, 1900 CD Boren Parkway, Fate, Texas 75087. Additional early voting countywide polling locations will be posted as soon as they are identified.
The first day to file an Application for Place on Ballot, for Council Member, Places 2 and 3, in the May 2, 2020 General Election will be January 15, 2020; the last day to file an Application for Place on Ballot will be February 14, 2020. The last day to file as a write-in candidate will be February 18, 2020.
Candidate Packets are available in the City Secretary’s Office for Fate residents who are interested in becoming a candidate for a City Council position. The City Secretary’s Office is open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
(1) A candidate for City Council must be 21 years of age at the time of filing for the election.
(2) A Candidate for City Council must be a City resident for at least 12 continuous months at the time of filing for the election.
(3) A Council member must maintain residence in the City of Fate during their term of office. For purposes of subsections (2) and (3) of this Section 3.02, a person must meet all of the following to meet the requirements to "be a City resident" or "maintain residence" in the City:
(A) The person must use the residence address for voter registration and driver's license purposes;
(B) The person must use the residence address as the person's home address on documents such as employment records, resumes, government forms and loan applications;
(C) The person must not claim a homestead exemption on any property other than the residence.
(4) A candidate for City Council must be a qualified voter of the City of Fate.
(5) No Council member shall hold any other City office or City employment while serving as Council member.
(6) The office of an incumbent elected City official shall become vacant when the person holding such office files an application to be placed on an official ballot as a candidate for any elective public office other than the one the person holds, unless otherwise prohibited by law.