Projects that are cosmetic, such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets, tile and trim work, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing fixtures on existing wiring or plumbin.
The following is a list of projects for which a permit is required:
Construction of a building, main building, accessory building (including permanent and portable storage sheds), gazebos, carports, patio covers
- Electrical work (repair work such as replacing switches, plugs and ballasts is exempt)
- Plumbing work
- Installing or replacing an air conditioning system (Replacement of coils or minor items located inside unit are exempt).
- Building or replacing a fence. No fence is to be placed in an drainage easement
- Building or replacing a retaining wall over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
- Replacing a roofing structure
- Installing or replacing concrete
- Building a swimming pool
- in-ground or above ground
- Building a spa or hot tub
- Demolition of a building
This is not an all-inclusive list. Have questions concerning your specific project? Contact the Building Inspections Department.