Criminal Investigations Division
The mission of the Criminal Investigation Division (CID) is to provide the highest quality criminal investigative support to the Fate Department of Public Safety. Motivated only by a search for the truth, CID Detectives will search out and collect all available evidence surrounding each case to exonerate the innocent and substantiate the culpability of the guilty. CID detectives recognize their responsibilities to the community they serve and are committed to investigating all criminal allegations in an ethical and impartial manner with sensitivity toward the needs of victims and witnesses. CID detectives are steadfast in their resolve and will mobilize all available resources to accomplish their mission, despite any obstacles, discouragement, or danger in order to preserve the quality of life that our citizens and visitors enjoy.
The Criminal Investigation Division is responsible for the supervision and performance of all investigations of crimes and conducts sensitive or special interest investigations as directed by the Chief of Police. CID detectives primarily investigate crime not yet cleared by arrest and provide criminal investigative support to the Patrol Division. CID conducts a broad spectrum of criminal investigations to including but not limited to deaths, sexual assault, burglaries, assaults, fraud, narcotics and provides criminal intelligence and forensic investigative support. CID works closely with other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to counter and investigate the most serious crimes.
Professional Standards, Police Records, Property and Evidence responsibilities are overseen by CID.
Specific functions include:
- Investigate crimes not yet cleared by arrest
- Collect, analyze and disseminate criminal intelligence
- Liaison with other local, state and Federal investigative agencies/units
- Liaison with District Attorney's Office
- Conduct pre-employment background investigations
- Conduct missing persons investigations
- Conduct internal affairs investigations
- Collect and examine evidence at crime scenes
- Maintain custody of physical and drug evidence
- Conduct sensitive or special interest investigations as directed by the Chief of Police
- PIO and Media Relations are conducted through CID
Detective Lieutenant R. Jones oversees CID. He is responsible to ensure accomplishment of the mission assigned to the division by the Chief of Police and for the conduct of all criminal investigative activity. He ensures compliance with CID investigative policies and standards and is responsible for strategic planning related to investigative services.
The Criminal Investigation Division may be reached Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm at 972-772-7994 or 972-771-4601.
Property release is by appointment only. To make an appointment call 972-772-7994 x 122.